Monday, May 21, 2012

Fox Tale


We were amazed to discover, a few weeks ago, that Jesus has a wife and kids.
            It wasn’t so long ago that we finally figured out that Jesus is a fox. We noticed a huge hole on an embankment in our backyard when we first moved into the house. Lacking knowledge of the habits of any particular wildlife, my husband decided to place a large rock in front of the opening so as to encourage who ever was living there to find another home. The next day, we found the rock moved aside, so my husband replaced it with a much larger rock. Again, we found the rock moved aside. We named the mystery animal Jesus. For a few years, we found evidence of something living in that hole, but never laid eyes on the inhabitant. Since it wasn’t bothering us, we weren’t going to pursue this mysterious creature and we soon forgot about it.
            That is until early this month. I heard some funny little noises coming from that part of the yard and upon further investigation, discovered a den of foxes. How charming to find that Jesus is a fox, not a skunk as I had originally feared. To add to our pleasure, Jesus also had a mate and a half dozen offspring gamboling around the grassy area in front of the hole. I took pictures and video of the little family. They were not afraid of me, though I saw them watching me, and I certainly kept my distance. On the other hand, I wasn’t sure if I was afraid of them, so I did a little research.
            According to the state of Connecticut’s department of wildlife conservation, red foxes (like the ones living in my yard) are making a comeback in our area. They live in all corners of the globe and they are territorial. The females are called vixens and the babies are kits. The males, I guess, are simply called Dad. They are part of the dog family, including coyotes and my beagle. Happily, coyotes and foxes do not like to live in the same territory. I certainly don’t like the idea of a coyote sharing terrain with my timid beagle, so this is fine with me. Foxes eat small rodents, fish, fruits, vegetables, frogs and even garbage. We have seen the mama fox running through the yard with a squirrel in her mouth, returning to the den to feed her babies. As if that weren’t enough, we found evidence of their meal on our deck. Yuck. I am hoping, however, that the fox’s habit of marking his territory will be a deterrent for my arch enemies, the deer.
            Our neighborhood is host to a variety of wildlife and this spring it feels like we are living in a zoo. Along with our fox family and others nearby, there have been many birds looping crazily through the air in what must be some sort of mating ritual. You would think that the local squirrels had gotten into a large cache of coffee grounds as they seem to have lost their minds, zipping up and down trees and acting suicidal at the roadside. Baby deer with spots on their backs placidly follow their mothers and calmly nibble the tender shoots of my lovely garden. They continue chewing as I run at them waving my arms and yelling. Slowly, they amble away, never taking their eyes off me. They probably think I’ve got the human form of spring craziness. At night, even the frogs add their folly to the mix as they peep incessantly. It is a sweet sound and certainly heralds the return of warmer weather and blooming trees.
            In their very early days, the baby foxes looked like puppies rolling around on the still-brown lawn. According to my research, they must have been about five weeks old. Foxes mate in the winter and typically have their litters in early March in these parts. The sightless young stay deep in the den until they are about five weeks old. At that time, they come out with their parents and begin to play. They even found an old soccer ball under the shed and were batting it between them. Jesus and his wife are always watchful and they take turns trotting off into the woods to find food. The stay-at-home parent often chases the babies and breaks up fights between them. You can almost hear them whining, “Mom, she took my squirrel!”
            I like that our foxes are such responsible parents. When I took a closer look at their living quarters, I found a second entrance to their den, higher up on the hill. This is smart thinking. When we were blocking up the lower entrance, they had no problem going out the back door. Once the foliage fills in, you can’t see either hole and they restrict their activities to times when we don’t see them. They are not strictly nocturnal, as some people mistakenly think. And foxes don’t carry rabies any more than any other wild animals. It is just a little disconcerting that they are not spooked by human presence. They watch me with as much interest as I watch them.
            It is fitting that Jesus and his family are looking so healthy and happy as we celebrate the lengthening days and arrival of spring. With all of the talk about going green and being responsible stewards of our planet, we can take comfort and pleasure from the robust springtime rituals of our wild neighbors.  

1 comment:

Copyright © 2021 Susan Irving Monshaw

All content including designs, concepts, text and photographs are COPYRIGHT ©2021 Susan Irving Monshaw. Content herein is shared for your personal enjoyment only and may not be used for publication or copied or reproduced without written consent.